Math Challengers is running competitons again this year and we are looking for volunteers to run the program and mark papers.
The Math Challengers events this year are:
- Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013 at UBC (Volunteers needed!)
- Thursday, Feb. 14, 2013 at the Kelowna Okanagan Campus (Volunteers needed!)
- Friday, Feb. 22, 2013 at Camosun College InterUrban Campus in Victoria (Volunteers needed!)
- Saturday, March 9, 2013 at SFU Burnaby Mountain campus
Volunteer Roles needed in the Lower Mainland
- Setup Teams need to arrive early ~6:45 for setup at the Regional’s and leave early
- Markers arrive later at~ 9:30 am for the Regional’s* and a late shift where you can arrive at 11 pm but need to stay until 4pm and help recheck marking and clean up and lug equipment back to cars.
- MC and Invigilators that need to arrive in time to help register and generally arrive in rooms before the kids after a quick refresher course on this year’s procedures ~ 8:00am
- Face off MC’s need to be able to stand in front of the competitors and read the questions with some understanding of the questions.
* Please note times will vary with venue
Bring Friends and Colleagues
We need to refresh our volunteer list, so please circulate this invitation to colleagues and friends.If you would like to volunteer at one of the Math Challengers 2013 events please contact John Morgan (email@example.com) so that a security pass/ nametag is waiting for you.
University students can be assigned to marking or material Distribution -this is an excellent informal networking opportunity to talk to practising engineers. High school students will be assigned to material distribution and it is a good opportunity for them to put a volunteer assignment in their career development folder and learn the University ropes from the older students.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to let me know which competition(s) and roles you will be volunteering for, and what time slot you are available.
As usual APEGBC members will receive CPD credit for helping out as a group CPD acrobat PDF document emailed out or by special request only a printed CPD certificate.Other professionals will receive a acrobat pdf certificate of thanks from APEGBC Students volunteers will receive a printed certificate of thanks from APEGBC
Refreshments: coffee snacks and Pizza lunch will be provided.
We are also looking for volunteers to help Danny Young Email: email@example.com and Cindy Wu Email firstname.lastname@example.org with providing an enhanced work shop for students who are interested in more advanced mathematics practice from any school in the lower mainland -provisional location Burnaby.
We are still looking for inspiration for the question development team – questions/themes should ideally contain a teachable engineering concept. Please send a description of the problem here and it will be forward to the Question development team If you would like to work closer with the question development team let John Morgan know (email@example.com).